Friday, May 15, 2009

Chile Rellenos Casserole

I was in the mood for Chile Rellenos, but didn't feel like frying, so I created a Chile Rellenos Casserole, baking it instead of frying. I also wanted a quick, easy recipe to feed two.
  • 2 poblano peppers, roasted
  • 1 (8 oz.) block Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely shredded, divided
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can Mexican style diced tomatoes
Roast the peppers over an open flame (I have a gas stove, so I roasted mine on top of the burner), turning with tongs until they are evenly blackened. Put the roasted peppers in a plastic zip-lock bag, seal, and let steam for 20 minutes.

While the peppers are steaming, shred the cheese and open the can of diced tomatoes. Pull out an 8-inch round casserole dish from your cabinet and set it on the counter top.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. I used my toaster oven because it was just too hot (95 degrees) the other day to turn the oven on.

Gently, with your fingers, peel the blackened parts off the peppers. With a sharp knife, cut a slit from top to bottom, being careful not to cut all the way through. Remove the seeds.

Gently mold some of the shredded cheese into logs and place inside the peppers. Overlap the cut edges of the peppers to enclose the cheese filling.

Put a couple spoonfuls of the diced tomatoes in the bottom of the casserole dish. Place the stuffed peppers on top of the sauce, then pour the remaining diced tomatoes over. Scatter the remaining cheese over the top, place in the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.

How's that for quick and easy? Only three ingredients... a quick easy meal on a busy weeknight. I served mine with brown rice and pinto beans.

I'm sending this recipe over to Heather at GirliChef for her Chiles in May Giveaway contest. What's she giving away? A copy of my new cookbook, Foods and Flavors of San Antonio, dried chiles, and chile pepper refrigerator magnets. There's still time to enter through the end of this month, so head on over to her blog and check out the contest.

Update on the Return of the Chili Queens Festival: Just got some good news. The CASI chili cook-off part of the festival is still on for the 24th, but haven't heard yet on the other activities.

9 comments:

Meg said...

Looks absolutely delicious!

Reeni♥ said...

This looks so good, Gloria! I've never had chile rellenos before. It's on my list of things to make!

5 Star Foodie said...

Great idea to bake the chile rellenos - sounds delicious!

girlichef said...

Yum, I will make a casserole next time...easy and still so tasty :P

Coleen's Recipes said...

I am very excited about this recipe. I wa nted to try this before, but was sort of frightened off by the frying part. Thank you so much for sharing this one.

Donna-FFW said...

I will have to try this one.. it looks absolutely delicious.

Chef E said...

Oh YUM! Your food always looks so much better than what I have gotten in places even in Texas...torture, pure torture, because my Texas countdown is three weeks away!

Ginger said...

That is undeniably an awesome feast of deliciousness!! That about sums it up!

Karen said...

Chile rellenos are my favorite. This recipe looks slimmed down and delicious! A good way to have all the goodness of chile rellenos without the mess and calories of frying!