Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Chicken Chimichangas

The recipe for this month's Second Sunday San Antonio -- Chicken Chimichangas -- was chosen by Heather, Girlchef, since she was the first to make and post last month's recipe. Second Sunday San Antonio is a Tex-Mex foodie blog event where we cook a recipe from my cookbook, Foods and Flavors of San Antonio, once a month. Whoever makes and posts the recipe first gets to choose the recipe we'll all make next month.

If you know me, you know I can't resist making changes to my own recipes. I've noted the changes I've made in blue.
  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 chipotle chile, seeded
  • 1 tbsp. vegetable oil (I used butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray.)
  • 2 small onions, finely chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 (16 oz.) can tomatillos, drained and chopped (I used 6 fresh tomatillos, boiled for 15 minutes to soften.)
  • 2 (15.5 oz.) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed (I used one can.)
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • 8 (10-inch) flour tortillas
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup oil, for frying (I baked my chimichanges instead of frying. I lightly sprayed the bottom of a baking pan with butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray, then sprayed the top of the chimichangas, placed them in a 350 degree preheated oven and baked them for 20 minutes.)
Place the chicken breasts in a large saucepan, cover with water
and add the chipotle chile. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the chile has softened.

Remove the chile and chop it finely. Set aside.

Remove the chicken breasts and put them on a plate. Let cool slightly, then shred with two forks. Set aside.

Heat 1 tbsp. vegetable oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until soft, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cloves. Cook for 3 more minutes, stirring.

Add the tomatillos and pinto beans. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly to break up the tomatillos and some of the beans.

Add the chopped chipotle chile. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 more minutes.

Add the shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Stack the tortillas together and cover with plastic wrap. Place in
the microwave and cook for 30 seconds.

Spoon the filling into the center of each warmed tortilla. Add the cheese. Fold in both sides, then fold the bottom of the tortilla up and the top down to form a square packet. Moisten with water around the edges to seal.

Heat the 1/4 cup oil in a 2-inch deep skillet and fry the chimichangas in batches until crisp, turning once. Remove with
a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

I served my Chicken Chimichangas with torn Romaine lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and a dollop of sour cream.

We'd love to have you cook with us for Second Sunday San Antonio. The round-up will be posted on June 14th. Make the Chicken Chimichanga recipe (tweak it if you like) and post the picture of the dish on your blog, along with the badge and a link to this post (you don't need to include the recipe), then send me an email at gloriachadwick@gmail.com
with the link to your post.

Since I was the first one to make and post the recipe for Second Sunday San Antonio this month, I get to choose the recipe we'll
all make next month. The recipe will be posted at the round-up.

I'm also sending this over to Heather at GirliChef for her Chile Contest and Cookbook Giveaway.

6 comments:

girlichef said...

Yum! I need to get crackin'...these sound so good to me right now (6:45 in the morning)!!! :)

5 Star Foodie said...

These chimichangas sound absolutely delicious!

Karen said...

I love chimis with shredded beef... haven't had one in ages!

Chef E said...

Yikes, here you go again...I am fighting the cravings...fighting, as hard as I can...torture, pure torture between you and girlichef!

Reeni♥ said...

Phew! Wipes brow. I thought I was too late. I really want to make this one. It looks super-delicious!

boinky said...

Just reading the post makes me hungry!
I linked to the recipe and borrowed a photo...if you object, I'll remove it.