Saturday, April 18, 2009

Monterey Pepper Jack Chicken

Monterey Pepper Jack Chicken is one of the 261 recipes in
my new cookbook, Foods and Flavors of San Antonio. It's San Antonio's version of Chicken Parmesan. Instead of tomato sauce, salsa is used. Instead of Mozzarella cheese, Monterey Pepper Jack cheese is used. Instead of serving it over pasta, it's served over rice. The cornmeal coating adds a nice crunch and texture.

  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tbsp. water
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 2 cups salsa (I used a 16 oz. jar of Lime & Garlic Salsa Picante)
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Pepper Jack cheese
  • 3 cups cooked white rice, hot (I made Mexican rice)
  • 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly spray a 13 x 9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and water until frothy.

On a dinner plate, combine the cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.

Dip the chicken breasts in the egg, then dredge in the cornmeal mixture, coating evenly. Shake off the excess.

Place the chicken in the prepared baking dish and cook for 30 to
35 minutes or until the juices run clear when pierced with a sharp knife.

Remove the chicken from the oven and pour the salsa over. Sprinkle with the cheese. Return to the oven for 10 minutes
or until the cheese melts.

Serve over rice with sour cream on the side.

I served mine with a side of pinto beans. Delicioso!

10 comments:

Hornsfan said...

So is Tex-Mex Italian the right way to say this :) Gloria this looks delicious!

Pam said...

Oh how this is calling my name - it looks and sounds FANTASTIC!

Reeni♥ said...

This looks delicious, Gloria! I like your comparison to Chicken Parm. Thanks for the magnet! It was a nice little surprise to get in the mail!

Coleen's Recipes said...

I can't wait to try this. I love pepperjack cheese.

5 Star Foodie said...

I love Monterey Pepper Jack and this dish sounds awesome!

Brenda Campbell said...

That looks wonderful! I really hope I win one of those cookbooks, if not is it available at Amazon? This is a book I should have in my kitchen if it turns out recipes like this. Great job!

girlichef said...

Muy Rico!!! You know that you're only making it harder on me to pick a recipe, don't you!!?? ;)

Sara said...

I love pepper jack! I usually eat it plain, but I can see how it would be great in this dish.

Claudia said...

This speaks to me. You are turning this pasta gal into a Tex-Mex lady.

giz said...

I learned something new - I never knew that tacos could mean many different things. Thanks for enlightening me.